This involves the maintenance of a healthy body, good physical health habits, good nutrition and exercise, and obtaining needed health care.
Pause & Breathe
- Relaxation techniques: Breath control helps quell errant stress response
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health: Meditation In Depth
- The role for mindfulness in public health
- Try walking just 10 minutes 3 times/day for 3 days out of each week.
- Moving more may help you control weight, lower your risk of heart disease, and lengthen your life.
- Walking and moving more can help improve your mood and reduce symptoms of depression.
- Resources for walking
- Walking fact sheet (Program to Achieve Wellness, SAMHSA.gov)
- Regular walking can help ease depression (Scientific American)
More resources for physical wellness
How much activity do I need? What counts? Check out the Fact Sheet on Physical Activity for Adults
Check out the tips on connecting with others by Getting Active Together
Walking for Health summarize the benefits of walking, as well as practical strategies for setting goals
Fitness calculator: Find out what you really need
Healthy Food Choices
Healthy Food Choices : What should you eat?
Healthy Food Choices Made Easy
Healthy Eating for Healthy Weight
Tobacco and Nicotine Products
Find suggestions for How to Manage Cravings when quitting smoking
You may find it helpful to Know Your Triggers when making plans to quit smoking
HALT is a powerful mantra that can help you prioritize your wellness habits
Learn about recommended Screening Tests so you can ask your doctor
Plan ahead with these questions to ask Quick Tips When Getting Medical Tests
Check out these 10 Tips for Better Sleep
Here’s another list of 7 Tips for Better Sleep
This list has 9 tips for Getting Quality Sleep
Track your current sleep patterns by Using a Sleep Diary
Learn about ways to Cut Back on Added Sugars
Finding the Hidden Sugar in the Foods You Eat
Find out about these Top 10 Oral Health Tips from dental hygienists
What to Expect During Your Dental Exam
Activities to Relax and Relieve Stress
Learn about how to use Deep Breathing throughout the day
Learn more about science and yoga from this 18-minute video from the National Center on Complementary and Integrative Health (National Institutes of Health)
Resources for Wellness in Eight Dimensions
Learn the Eight Dimensions of Wellness (poster) | SAMHSA
Eight Dimensions of Wellness Daily Plan | UIC Solutions Suite for Health and Recovery
While we list online resources, we recognize that websites often change and move . If a link doesn’t work, try a search using the title. We do not endorse any specific websites—they are suggestions for beginning your search for what works for you. We do not accept funding or other support from the resources listed.