About the Journal
Founded by Howard W. Haggard, M.D., director of Yale University’s Laboratory of Applied Physiology, The Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs began in 1940 as the Quarterly Journal of Studies on Alcohol. As alcohol research expanded in the 1970s, the Journal grew from a quarterly to monthly publication in 1975, and its name was changed to the Journal of Studies on Alcohol. With this change, the Journal began publishing research articles and abstracts in alternating months.
Beginning with the January 2007 issue, the Journal has undergone two additional changes. First, the name changed to the Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs. Second, and, perhaps more important, the Journal has become available online to subscribers for the first time.
The Journal has always been an independent, not-for-profit entity, first published by the Journal of Studies on Alcohol, Inc., (from 1940 to 1982) and then by Alcohol Research Documentation, Inc., a not-for-profit organization affiliated with Rutgers University (from 1983 to the present). The Journal is not subsidized by any outside organization, prints very little advertising, and does not require author page charges. Its operations are funded by sales of subscriptions and by article purchases.
Open access articles in the current issue: